Sunday, August 10, 2014

Using a Screencast to Create a Database Tutorial



For my Database Tutorial assignment, I used the Apple QuickTime Player to record a screencast recording. QuickTime is simple to use and affords three different recording options under its file menu: New movie recording, New audio recording, or New screen recording. I chose the New screen recording and plugged my Logitech headphones with built-in microphone into the USB input jack on my laptop computer. When one selects the New screen recording option, a screen recording window in dark gray pops up and includes the recording buttons, so I pressed the red center button and an additional window popped up asking, "Are you sure you want to start recording the screen?" And one may press the start recording onscreen button. The window disappears during the recording and from this moment on all screen movements, actions or selections and audio is recorded until one stops recording by pressing stop on the recording menu bar. All "takes" are conveniently stored in one's chosen file. Other QuickTime options are certainly available, but for the simple task of creating a screencast tutorial, it might be wise to keep things simple.

For my database selection, I wanted to explore the Women's Wear Daily Subscription Database made available to Dominican University Students via the Rebecca Crown Library. I had come across this database a while ago as I navigated to the WorldCat database and have always wanted to check it out, and I am happy I got the chance to do so for this assignment. While recording the tutorial, I wanted to keep my actions very basic in order to be able to explain them as they were happening, from selecting the actual screencast program--QuickTime, to selecting the Rebecca Crown Library homepage, to making my database selection. Once the Women's Wear Daily window opened, I explained a little about the menus and selections while exploring the database myself. I really enjoyed the process, and as I tried to keep my eye on the time, I wanted to include a snippet of the video in order to add another dimension to my tutorial, which is that of music and visuals. I then wanted to guide the viewers out of the database and back into QuickTime to show them how to end the QuickTime recording.


QuickTime is basic enough to be able to explain its use to younger students, and the ability to create a movie can be easy making this a great media learning tool. The recorded video movie or audio clips can then be uploaded into other programs such as PowerPoint or iMovie for further use of editing tools or movie arrangement.

Dominican University Graduate School of Library and Information Science course:
LIS 724-10, Professor Katie Kirsch, 2014.



1 comment:

  1. Quicktime is a great way to capture a quick screencast - I use it often!

    ReplyDelete